Thursday, 30 September 2010


While I was waiting for my latest purchase from Empress to appear in the post I decided to revisit a model I painted at the beginning of the year. In the last year I feel that I have improved my painting skills quite a bit and more importantly my painting confidence has improved.

In the before picture you can see that I had effectively just neatly blocked in the "base" colours, at the time the model was presentable and I was happy with the results. However in the last year having learned from observing other peoples painting approaches on various websites I have started using inks for shadows and have gotten much better at highlights. So I decided to return to this miniature and "remaster" it.

I've shaded around the folds using inks and I have added various highlights and think the "After" picture looks much better. A great improvement for only an extra 30 minutes (or less I didn't pay much attention) work.

Sunday, 26 September 2010

Wait for us Chaps

I had more time this evening than I thought I would (and unusually for me on a Sunday I was in a motivated mood) so I was able to paint up these four chaps to go with the four from yesterday. Another enjoyable painting session, I was also able to base the four models I painted yesterday, not bad time wise for me. Not quite sure what I'll paint next have to have a ponder and see what floats to the top of the mental pile.

Saturday, 25 September 2010

Onward Chaps

Just finished painting another four of the great Musketeer Miniatures WW1 models to add to my VBCW force. Didn't take me to long, just an evenings work. I think I may now have finished my VBCW force for Big Game 3. I'm going to have a roll call later and see if I have, all I think I need to find now is a bit of transport for my gallant hero's.  I have another four of these fine fellows to paint, I may or may not get time to do it over the weekend as I have quite a bit of work to do on the allotment.

Monday, 20 September 2010

Security Fencing

Continuing my wall/fence theme (in case you haven't noticed I haven't got any models I fancy painting at the moment) I decided to knock up a bit of modern fencing. I've been toying with starting a little collection of modern miniatures for a zombie survival game and thought this would be a good start. It took me about half an hour to make the fence plus a bit of time fiddling with the fencing I've used as razor wire. I would have made another couple of sections but I didn't have anything readily to hand to base the fence on. The fencing is corrugated card that my wife found in the "gluing and sticking" section of Tesco's.

All in all another easy, quick, and in my opinion pretty good bit of scenery. Just received my order of 8 WW1 British infantry so going to paint them up this week.

Friday, 17 September 2010

Crumbling Wall

Knocked this up over the last couple of evenings a 28mm scale wall section. It was a bit of an experiment using a large pack of cork bits used for making boulders for model railways and the like that my wife bought me last xmas. I decided to see if I could build wall sections from them.

The wall was just built up and stuck together with a bit of PVA. Then I painted it dark grey before lightly over spraying it in grey primer to create a "rocky" look. I then washed the whole thing in with a couple of shades of brown and green. The base is just painted brown, with brown flock and static grass. Couple of Empress Anglo Zulu guys for scale. All in all I like the effect and it was really easy, the plan is to knock up some more of these.

Tuesday, 14 September 2010

The end is nigh!

Or rather my first holiday in 3 years is over. Just back from a nice 7 day break in a friends villa in Majorca, despite being the end of the season it was still very hot and my wife and I (despite slapping on quite a bit of factor 30) managed to burn ourselves a wee bit. While I was away I decided I wanted to start building some more scenery etc. This was sparked by picking up a model railway magazine and becoming fascinated by how detailed some of the layouts are. Also ordered 8 ww1 British Infantry from Musketeer Miniatures to flesh out my VBCW force a bit.