Sunday, 24 July 2016

More Germans

Just finished painting another two early war Germans from Crusader Miniatures pictures came out a little dark, not really sure why to be honest. I took the time to paint the German flag flashes on the helmets, and the collar tabs on the figure that had a collar that they would fit on. 

Overall I'm pretty pleased with the results, another two on my workbench at the moment, I imagine I will finish a full squad before moving onto something else. 




Wednesday, 20 July 2016

Early German

I decided to paint up some early war German figures. These are from the Crusader and Artizan Range, available from Northstar Miniatures. Both are really nice castings, detailed without being fussy or "cluttered". I have actually previously painted the officer with his hands behind his back, there is a picture on the blog somewhere. 

I decided to go for a stereotypical early war type camo, and took the time to paint the German flag on the side of the helmet for the other figure. 

Pretty pleased with these, more to come assuming i'm not distracted by some flight of fancy.  



 Trying out some new basing materials at the moment, not sure whether I like the results at the moment.


Sunday, 26 June 2016

Double Swords


Possibly the final Highlander, I have two left but i'm not sure if I'll do them or move onto something else. I suffered with a loss of tip to my smaller brushes on this one so some of the lines are a bit "blobby" in places. I know I know a poor workman and his tools and all that, but I think I need to invest in some new brushes as my current ones are getting a bit knackered out.


Saturday, 18 June 2016

Wrong end of the Musket

 Another highlander finished, I did this one using my favorite tartan pattern to paint. The effect of the pattern is really nice, and it looks much more complicated than it actually is. I can't remember if this is a real tartan or not, I think it is but I really don't recall where I got the pattern from.

In other news I'm eyeing some 15mm Napoleonic at the moment for a new project.

Thursday, 9 June 2016

Jug o Ale

 Another week in and another Warlord Clansman done, I think this ones from the "Arrant Scum" packs or something like that. I actually started painting this guys kilt about 2 years ago and gave up as the tartan wasn't going how I wanted it.

For this iteration I painted over the older, paler tartan with a darker choice, again fairly happy with the results, though I think the shirt needed a few more highlights.

I wanted that "been drinking awhile" look so added a red glaze to the cheeks and nose of the figure, not sure how visible that is in the pictures but I like the effect.

Working on more of these at the moment, really starting to enjoy painting tartan and as before just one figure at a time.

In other news my wife and I have become obsessed with the Magic the Gathering card game, surprisingly simple and complicated at the same time. We gave it a go as something easier to setup and play than a full board game. So far very enjoyable and as there are thousands of cards lots of options and all that with updating decks etc.



Thursday, 2 June 2016

Highland Warrior

 Bit of a change of pace, I have had this Clansman figure from Warlord games in the lead pile along with another 20 or so from the same range for about 2 years. I think (but I can't really remember) that they were bought as part of a now aborted ECW project.

I've never got around to painting them as they are mostly wearing kilts or trews which require some kind of competent tartan. While I have painted tartan a fair bit in the past I tend to have only one type of tartan I can paint and its a nightmare to paint on non flat surfaces like this more old school looking kilt.

Well bored over the weekend I decided to pick one of the Clansmen at random and paint him on his own, I actually quite enjoyed the freedom of painting just one single figure as I am often painting 3 or 4 at once, or a unit etc.

Overall fairly happy with the results, my tartan is a bit dodgy in places but overall I like how the figure looks. My basing came out a tad more yellow than I intended, but as I'm trying a slightly different basing material at the moment I'll just go ahead and forgive myself!


Sunday, 29 May 2016

Weird Germans


Slow progress again on the blog mainly due to my camera being on the blink and having some trouble getting decent pictures. Completed these 10 Studio Miniatures German Zombies over the last few weeks. These are going to be part of my Weird War 2 project that I'm indulging in at the moment. 

The sculpts are nice my only criticism would be that one of the two bodies types available on the sprue is lurching forwards in a very distinctive manner which means careful positioning of the arms, and re positioning of the head is required to avoid the Zombies looking similar. 

I had some of the modern zombies plastic Studio Miniatures sprues lying around and used some heads and arms from this to add some more variety, I also hacked up some of the helmet heads. The other plastic sprues fit well with this set so I would recommend anyone thinking of getting the German Zombies to buy a couple of single sprues from the Modern range to add variety. 

I enjoyed painting these up and went as far as painting collar markings and an impression of the eagle above the pocket etc. I think the little extra details make these more interesting, otherwise they might look just a bit grey. 

Overall I think these are good value, I have another 10 to do and intend to modify them a bit more to add variety. Picture quality is not great, I really need to setup a light box or something.